Demographic and Clinical Profile Analysis of Covid-19 Suspected Patients: A Tertiary Care Hospital Study in Bangladesh
Author(s): Dr. Monir Hossain, Prof. Dr. Ali Hossain, Dr. Abdus Shakur Khan, Dr. Kazi Saifuddin Bennoor, Dr. Laizu Ara Soheli
Background: In Bangladesh, the first Covid-19 patient was detected on the 8th March 2020. The demographic profile of Covid-19 patients may be helpful in the treatment arena of Covid-19. We have very limited researchoriented data regarding the social, demographic and/or clinical status of Covid-19 patients.
Objective: The objective of the study was to analysis the demographic profile of Covid-19 suspected patients.
Methods: This observational study was conducted in the Department of Medicine Shahabuddin Medical College Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh during the period from November 2020 to March 2022. In total 126 Covid-19 suspected patients referred from government primary/secondary healthcare institutions were included as the study subjects. This study was approved by the ethical committee of the mentioned hospital. All data were collected, processed and analyzed by using MS Office and SPSS version 23 programs as per need.
Results: In this study, the male-female ratio of the participants was 1:1.7. Majority number of patients ware from 31 to 60 years’ range: 17.5%, 31.7% and another 17.5% from 31-40, 41-50 and 51-60-years’ age groups respectively. Through serum biochemistry, complete blood count (CBC), liver and kidney function test, electrolytes assessment and chest radiographs investigations, 41% cases were found as Covid-19 positive and the rest 59% cases were found as ‘not positive’. But as Gold Standard Test, through RT-PCR tests, only 13% (n=16) participants were found as Covid-19 positive whereas 87% (n=110) was Covid-19 not positive finally. Comorbidities were found among 61.1% participants with alarming ratio of HTN and DM. As the major comorbidities, HTN and DM were found in 44% and 38% respectively.